Inside MCE’s Upcoming Multicultural Celebration Week

Brian Ponce, School News Writer

The Preuss School UC San Diego’s Multicultural Empowerment Club (MCE) is preparing for a week-long array of multicultural celebrations from Monday, April 18th through Friday, April 22nd in which all middle and high school students are welcome to participate from 4:00 to 5:00 pm near the school amphitheater.

Each day of the week will be dedicated to one culture through interactive activities. Activities will include music, singing, and cultural performances led by the club’s members. Other clubs will be working with MCE to create additional activities for each event. Delicacies such as sweets from each culture are also expected to be provided during each event.

On Monday, April 18th, the club will start the week-long celebration by holding activities based on Native American/Indigenous Culture. Tuesday, April 19th will be dedicated to Middle Eastern Cultures. Wednesday, April 20th will feature Asian Cultures. Thursday, April 21st will include Hispanic Cultures. On Friday, April 22nd, the club will conclude the multi-day event by teaching students about African American cultures.

While the first event of the week will not start until April 18th, club president Mariana Arevalo (‘22) recommends students who are anxiously waiting for this year’s event to prepare by “looking forward to interacting with others and seeing different cultures come together.”

The Multicultural Empowerment Club is a high school extracurricular club where students from all ethnic, racial, and cultural backgrounds band together to learn more about their own cultures while exploring new ones through a variety of activities led by the club’s officers.

According to club president Mariana Arevalo (‘22), the purpose of the club is to not only broaden one’s cultural knowledge but to “create unity with one another.” Arevalo expects that the club’s main principles of creating unity amongst each of its members will be applied to this year’s upcoming multi-day event.

In the past, the club has held similar events for all Preuss scholars in collaboration with the Spanish Department. One notable event was the Day of the Dead celebration, which occurred on October 29th of last year where students celebrated the Hispanic holiday outside of the large tent near Manchester Field. This event in particular will be significant compared to past events as it will be the first time that a high school club will be hosting a week-long event compared to a single day, one-off event.

If you would like to expand your cultural knowledge with your friends, then Multicultural Celebrations week is the event for you!

Word Count: 413