• Interested in joining the Preuss soccer team? Tryouts will be held from June 5th-7th. Fill out the interest form on the daily bulletin!

New Pride of Preuss member receiving their awards.
Preuss Faculty Select New Pride of Preuss 
Rayan Dahir, Design • June 17, 2024

As the new 24-25 school year is around the corner, the current Pride of Preuss is graduating and welcoming in the new Pride of Preuss at the...

Preuss Holds the Final SEA of the Year
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • June 5, 2024
Prom Season Hits the Preuss School UCSD
Stacy Rosales, School News Writer • May 15, 2024
Senior Swag Dazzles Preuss Campus
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 13, 2024

Access Youth Academy Honors Graduating Preuss Students 

Access+youth+academy+has+grad+night+for+Preuss+students.+
Access youth academy has grad night for Preuss students.

With graduation coming closer and closer for our seniors, Preuss’ squash club, Access Youth Academy, (AYA) commenced their own “graduation” for senior squash players in AYA. These two events worked as a celebration and took place on Friday, June 7th between 6:00 p.m- 9:00 p.m. for the End of Year party and Saturday, June 8th between 3:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. for a graduation ceremony. 

Squash itself has provided many events and opportunities for seniors to feel more involved as they part ways. Events such as rocking climbing and college tours have also allowed them to build stronger bonds. With its friendly and encouraging environment, squash players were asked to contribute food towards the potluck on June 7th, and engage in the last party with the graduating seniors.

“Squash has allowed me to go on many experiences like college visits during spring break,” stated Amy Cruz (‘25). “It also brought in new friendships for me. I’ve enjoyed participating in events … because they bring us together as a community and we all have a good time.” 

Those who attended participated in a game with a partner where they each worked to strike a pose at the end of a song and maintain it for as long as they could. Eventually, the event was wrapped up with awards for players’ skills and engagement in squash. 

Additionally, squash hosted its other event on Saturday, June 8th, as a ceremonial event. It acknowledged the senior squash players’ hard work, specifically. Throughout this ceremony, seniors were asked to give a brief speech about what they are thankful for and received a certificate for completing Phase 1 of the program. 

“It made me nervous to give a speech in front of people, but I’ve recently been able to get more involved in squash and enjoy what it has to offer,” mentioned Khang Thai (‘24).  “The staff who work at Access are very supportive and welcoming and it has allowed me to have a more enjoyable experience.” 

Furthermore, this community has brought many good memories for everyone. It has allowed for a good time while also participating in a sport to improve throughout the years. However, it has especially left behind a heartfelt moment for seniors as they are moving towards a new chapter in their lives.

“My favorite memory of my program was when I was able to compete with my friends at small rallies even though I wouldn’t win,” expressed Vivian Nguyen (‘24). “I won’t say I’m sad since there are eleven more years of the program to complete, but I’m nervous about the real world and getting a job as an adult.”

Though this experience may have been very nerve wracking, everyone who participated was able to share from what they have accomplished and created a memorable time. Both of these events worked to honor the seniors and their departure as well as how far they have made it into the program. Hopefully, the seniors will take what they have learned from the program thus far and go on forth into college taking this learned knowledge.