• Interested in joining the Preuss soccer team? Tryouts will be held from June 5th-7th. Fill out the interest form on the daily bulletin!

New Pride of Preuss member receiving their awards.
Preuss Faculty Select New Pride of Preuss 
Rayan Dahir, Design • June 17, 2024

As the new 24-25 school year is around the corner, the current Pride of Preuss is graduating and welcoming in the new Pride of Preuss at the...

Preuss Holds the Final SEA of the Year
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • June 5, 2024
Prom Season Hits the Preuss School UCSD
Stacy Rosales, School News Writer • May 15, 2024
Senior Swag Dazzles Preuss Campus
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 13, 2024

Preuss Senior Traditions

Tradition is a transmission of customs that are passed from generation to generation. With the year’s end coming closer and closer to its conclusion, a new chapter will arise for the school’s seniors, and with graduation looming, the seniors will partake in traditions before their farewells. These traditions have long existed throughout the school’s history and are rites of passage that will signify the end.

SIR day or “Statement of Intent to Register” day is a day across many schools in the nation where the seniors declare which collegiate institutions they will attend. The day is usually held on May 1st, but this year it was held on the 15th due the issues surrounding the Free Application For Student Aid (FAFSA) that delayed financial aid packages for students. The celebration held at Preuss is where the seniors get a blank pennant and design it with the  insignia of the school they will attend. The celebration is a day where students can proudly share where they will go, saying, “My journey begins” or, “My journey begins and ends at,” depending on if they spend all four years at a university or transfer.

One faculty member has seen and experienced this tradition with various advisories. Dr. Weber has been in position as an advisory teacher more than a fistful of times and with his now sixth advisory shares the significance of the event.

“It is essentially the mission of the school personified, that we say our goal is get underrepresented kids to college and here is a time when we actually prove that this is happening.” 

Furthermore, he believes that the traditions proves that the schools mission is worthwhile and to continue giving chances to these underrepresented kids because given these opportunities these students will show excellence in the face of adversity. SIR represents the completion of  the school’s goal to take underrepresented kids to college but the cycle keeps going and before they walk onto the stage, the seniors will welcome the next generation of seniors to the final stretch. 

Another rite of passage is Junior pinning. This is a senior and junior ceremony where the seniors will give a pin to the juniors with their year of graduation. This year’s juniors will receive a 2025 pin from the seniors, just as this year’s seniors received 2024 pins from the class of 2023.

“It’s an important passing of the torch to the next group of people, that listen, we’ve done our part to fulfill the mission of this school; now it’s your turn,” Dr. Weber said.

These traditions, just like any other tradition, represent the goals of the school. The juniors of today will go on to undertake what today’s seniors carry out in one year’s time and repeat the cycle of excellence.