Book Grant Supplies Students Personal Libraries

While the ongoing pandemic has made it hard to travel and explore different places there is still one way to continue to take part in adventures, through reading. I believe that a good book can make you travel through time and space and with the books being donated to Preuss students, we are now able to start our own home library. Personally, I am excited to add to my collection of books, and after speaking with other Preuss students, I can assure you I am not alone in the excitement. Dr. Griffith thought of the idea of home libraries and it was then brought to life throughout the planning meetings for the RAAD event in partnership with Geisel Library.

“The idea is to continue to add to these home libraries every year,” Ms. Nance shared.

Middle schoolers received Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, Guts by Reina Telgemeier, The Sneetches and other Stories by Dr. Seuss, as well as Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan. High schoolers received The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, What if It’s Us by Becky Albbertalli & Adam Silvera, The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline, and All the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Suess. The Dr. Seuss books were donated by Penguin Random House Publishers and Seuss Enterprises, while the other six books were paid for with money from an anonymous donor.

“I had been waiting to read The Hate U Give and I was really excited to have my own copy to read at home,” stated Dayana Yudho (‘22).

Students are looking forward to building their at home libraries and now they were able to pick them up at the bookmobile. Unfortunately, there were not enough books for everyone when the first batch was delivered, but students who didn’t receive their books can pick them up next time the bookmobile comes around. Students can access the bookmobile schedule on the Preuss website under the library tab.

“I am really grateful for those books donated. I don’t always prioritize buying books when I’m doing my shopping, but I hope this is a start to my mini home library,” stated Eric Hernandez (‘22).