• Come receive academic support at SEA this Saturday from 9-11am!

Prom Season Hits the Preuss School UCSD
Stacy Rosales, School News Writer • May 15, 2024

With the 2024 Prom season around the corner, several “promposals” have occurred in the span of two weeks. This year's Prom theme will be...

Prom Season Hits the Preuss School UCSD
Senior Swag Dazzles Preuss Campus
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 13, 2024
The Mental Health Marco mannequin welcomes people into the front office.
Testing Encourages Self-Care during Mental Health May
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 10, 2024

Junior  Clubs/organizations? → Interact and Dreamers Hobbies? → Baseball, Cooking, and Videogames Favorite Season? → Spring Place you'd like to visit? → Globe Life...

Vy Thai
Vy Thai
Editor-In-Chief

Clubs/organizations? → Interact Club, Science Olympiad, Access Youth Academy, Sharp Grossmont Hospital Hobbies? → Baking, biking, swimming at the beach, hanging out with friends Favorite...

Rediet Neme
Rediet Neme
School News Writer

Clubs/organizations? Black student union and the ambassadors club at the club fair Hobbies? Basketball Favorite Season? Summer Place you'd like to visit? Paris and Hawaii Dream...

Preuss Students Express Their Culture At The 2024 Multicultural Festival

APIA Club
The Preuss School APIA Club performs a fan dance.

The Multicultural Festival is an annual event that usually takes place on the weekend; however this year, the event took place on Saturday April, 19th, beginning at 11:00 a.m and ended at 2:00 p.m. With the event’s purpose of expressing culture, many of Preuss’s clubs and students participated in the event. 

The participating clubs consisted of The Asian Pacific Islander Association (APIA), Black Student Union (BSU), Dance Club, Multicultural Club, Rockband, and the “07’s (A self student formed group of “7 people born in 07”).

The event started off with a mix of free food from different cultures, such as Ethiopian, Vietnamese, Indian, and Mexican.  In addition, the clubs performed soon after students grabbed a bite to eat. The APIA club specifically engaged in a performance dedicated to their culture. Their performance began with gender separated group dances that would then merge into one. Since their APIA Lunar Year Festival, APIA took it upon themselves to add new choreography for both Airband and this event as well.

“I have improved ever since my dance at the Lunar New Year Festival. My timing is more synchronized with other people despite some choreography problems we ran into. Eventually, it all worked out and we got to perform and allow others to share joy in our dance,” stated James Nguyen (‘25).

Additionally, groups such as the “07’s” performed.  This group performed the song “Tell me” by a K-pop group, Wonder Girls. The group performed in an Airband performance too with the song “Shooting Star” by XG. As a result, they had little to no time to practice for this performance. However, through their commitment, this group managed to pull off an amazing performance. 

“I was stressed that it would not be a top tier performance, but we did really well, so I am proud of us for pulling through. My favorite part of the dance is Ivy’s rap part in the middle. I find it funny that we made Ivy do the rapping part, but I feel like it looked good”  expressed Jenisha Semexant (‘25).

While this event was very fun for the performers themselves, it was also a fun experience for the viewers. The Multicultural event brought in many members of the Preuss community together through this festival and created a lasting impact as to what could happen in the upcoming years.

“In my opinion I don’t really think the event needs any improvements.  If anything, just a few more art decorations. However, I really liked the performances. Specifically, the 07’s choreography.” mentioned Amy Cruz (‘25), a Preuss student who attended the Multicultural festival.

Through its ways of expressing one’s culture through a form of art, the Multicultural festival was very successful as it brought in lots of fun. It was organized very well by Preuss’s Spanish teacher, Ms. Wiedemeier and the event received a positive reaction.