• Come receive academic support at SEA this Saturday from 9-11am!

Prom Season Hits the Preuss School UCSD
Stacy Rosales, School News Writer • May 15, 2024

With the 2024 Prom season around the corner, several “promposals” have occurred in the span of two weeks. This year's Prom theme will be...

Prom Season Hits the Preuss School UCSD
Senior Swag Dazzles Preuss Campus
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 13, 2024
The Mental Health Marco mannequin welcomes people into the front office.
Testing Encourages Self-Care during Mental Health May
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 10, 2024
Yaret Bolanos
Yaret Bolanos
Entertainment Writer

Senior Clubs/organizations? → None Hobbies? → Swimming/volleyball/surfing Favorite season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → Japan Dream job? → Entrepreneur...

Tracy Trinh
Tracy Trinh
Podcast Editor

Senior Clubs/organizations? → TSUNAMI, Speech & Debate Hobbies? → listening to music Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → London Dream job? →...

Clubs/organizations? Tsu nami Hobbies? Art Favorite Season? Winter Place you'd like to visit? Bora Bora Dream job? Art teacher

McDonald’s Announces “Free Fries Friday”

Andre Gurrola Rivera
McDonalds is giving free fries every Friday with every meal. | Carlos Castaneda (’24)

McDonald’s has announced that they are giving out free medium fries every Friday starting October 27, 2023, up until the rest of the year. The sale is called “Free Fries Friday.”

The promotion is only allowed by ordering something from the McDonald’s app for $1 or more. Customers can do this by showing them a code or showing the QR code to the cashier. Once they open the app, they’re supposed to press on the “Deals” tab and press on the “Free Fries Friday” and then mobile order it.

The public views vary on the accessibility for obtaining the deal. Many believe that it should be easier to access, since they are giving out free food and they’re shouldn’t be any exceptions. Other people don’t think much about it, and see it as another everyday deal.

“I like the concept, but I think they should make it more accessible for people who don’t have the app, such as homeless people who don’t even own a phone” Ruben Chavez (’24) affirms.

“I believe that a lot of people will benefit from this because they’re basically giving free food, but the steps are too long,” Bao Banh (’24) comments.

The McDonald’s chain restaurants have always been known for giving back to the community. For example, the Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) help the parents of sick and injured children by funding their treatments. The company is known for being a big benefactor to the Rady’s Children hospital. The amount is unknown due to the company wanting to keep anonymity.

“I think it’s cool that McDonalds is giving back to the community, and I think low-income students, like myself, will benefit from the deal,” Moises Garcia (’23) remarks.

Other fast-food companies such as Burger King chain restaurants have also given free fries to customers. In the spring of 2022, they offered free fries to customers who bought any meal and were part of the “Royal Perks” membership.

On a regular basis, medium fries are $2.39, and on average 5% of the goods made daily in a McDonald’s are thrown out. The deal will benefit both the average customer and the company. Students can also take advantage of the deal by saving the money they were going to spend, and use it for school, such as utensils etc.

“I’m excited to go to McDonald’s, and get free fries!” Brightlette Serrano (’26) exclaims.