• Check out the Scholastic BOGO Book Fair any day this week from 8am-3:30pm.
  • Mark your calendars for the 2024 Airband on April 19! Tickets will be sold during lunch up until the day of the event.
  • The annual Multicultural Festival will be on Saturday, April 20th at 11am. Come enjoy student performances and cultural foods!

Princess Project Returns to Preuss
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 12, 2024
Drama Students Begin Shakespeare Production
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 11, 2024
Hafssa Woldegiorgis
Hafssa Woldegiorgis
School News Writer

Freshman Clubs/organizations? → None Hobbies? → Painting, drawing, cooking Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → Dubai and Ethiopia Dream job? →...

Junior Clubs/organizations? → Rho Kappa Hobbies? → Watching movies, Listening to music, Video games Favorite season? → Fall Place you'd like to visit? → London, England...

Top Three Songs from “The Highlights” Album by The Weeknd

Gissell Montufar
The Weeknd has multiple No. 1 hit songs.

The Weeknd is a professional singer and songwriter, and his career continues to grow. The Weeknd, Abel Tesfaye, is one of the most successful artists in streaming music. The Weeknd has gained so many accomplishments throughout his career, like winning multiple Grammys, BET awards, AMA awards, and more. His most streamed track, “Blinding Lights,” is the most streamed track on Spotify of all time. Despite the Weeknd’s album The Highlights being made in February 2021, it is currently the number one most-played album of 2023. The Highlights, consisting of alternative R&B-based songs, is the Weeknd’s second all-time popular album and his first global album. There are 18 amazing songs on the album but here are the top 3.

1. “The Morning”
“The Morning” is a song by the Weeknd featured on his debut mixtape, House of Balloons. The song illustrates themes of love, deception, loss, and pain. It’s an emotional piece with a slow beat and an emphasized piano instrumental. The song’s backtrack produces an engaging and immersive atmosphere. The track displayed the Weeknd’s intense vocals and showcased his ability to have a range of emotions when singing. The track stands out on the album because it demonstrates a different genre in comparison to his other songs, and it displays the Weeknd’s capability to experiment with new styles and it still sounds true to his voice.

2. “Pray For Me”
The song “Pray for Me” was used and created for the movie Black Panther and even featured Kendrick Lamar. The track is R&B mixed with hip-hop and rap. The reason for such a high rank was because of the nostalgia the song gives. Being able to associate “Pray for Me” with one of the highest-ranked movies ever makes it more engaging. The song itself has great upbeat tempos that make the song energetic and have a futuristic fast-paced theme. The song is great for uplifting moods and has empowering lyrics.

3. “Call Out My Name”
The R&B, with hints of a soul track, was released on its own in 2018 and was even partially composed by the Weeknd himself. The song starts with a slow beat that transitions upbeat towards the chorus and remains upbeat throughout the song. The song is about emotional detachment and is based on his personal experiences. The Weeknd’s relation to the song allows listeners to understand the emotion put into “Call Out My Name”. The Weeknd’s vocal ability is utilized and shown through his constant high notes. The song’s lyrical creativity further enhances the enjoyment of listening to his track. The lyrical creativity is shown throughout the Weeknd’s repetition of the song title, “Call Out My Name”, in the song’s backtrack. Some great lines are,
“So call out my name (call out my name)” and “Guess I was just another pit stop, ‘Til you made up your mind, You just wasted my time”. The Weeknd easily displays his vocal ability when singing these lines as they come around the chorus and beat drops in the song. The track’s creativity and the Weeknd’s vocals being displayed is why the song is ranked highly in a playlist with various other great songs.