• Interested in joining the Preuss School cheerleading team? Students must attend all tryouts from April 29th to May 3rd in E102.

After FAFSA processes, students will be able to know if they are eligible for grants and loans.
Delayed Financial Aid Packages Frustrate Seniors
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • April 28, 2024

Seniors apprehensively check their emails, anticipating financial aid packages which specify the total amount of financial aid offered by the...

Jacqueline Hernandez (24), Jessica Mariano (24), and Nicole Nguyen (24) are preparing to cheer for a boys lacrosse game.
Preuss Cheer Presents 24-25 Tryouts
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • April 26, 2024
Princess Project Returns to Preuss
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 12, 2024
Drama Students Begin Shakespeare Production
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 11, 2024
Blen Fantaw (27)
Blen Fantaw
Podcaster

Freshman Clubs/organizations? → Church congregation Hobbies? → I like to swim and watch movies Favorite season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → I would want to...

Clubs/organizations? Tsunami Hobbies? Art, Skateboarded Favorite Season? Fall Place you'd like to visit? Los Angeles Dream job? Therapist  

Stacy Rosales
Stacy Rosales
School News Writer

Junior Clubs/organizations? → Art club Hobbies? → Soccer, Video Games, Drawing, Playing guitar and piano Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → Japan Dream...

Speckled Creature at the Brink of Extinction

Zetseat Damte
The Preuss School’s library contains books about cheetahs.

The cheetah jets through the 330-foot-long track at 70 miles per hour, kicking dirt in the air and impressing the large crowd watching over him. This jaw-dropping view happens at the San Diego Safari Park, at 3:30 pm every day. It attracts many visitors because of how uniquely fast and agile the cheetah is. People often confuse the difference between the cheetah and the Amur leopard because of how similar they look to each other. The biggest difference between these two is that the leopard is heavier and stronger than the cheetah, they live in different regions of the world, and the leopard is critically endangered. The Amur leopard was critically endangered in 1996, and now, there are only 125 left in Russia and 49 left in China. There are various reasons why this spotted creature is at risk of extinction and many of them are because of humans. 

The biggest issue the amur leopard currently faces is the illegal wildlife trade. There is no doubt that their fur is beautiful and beloved, but their beauty puts them at a great disadvantage. They are constantly poached for their fur, as the material can be used for clothing such as luxury robes. Poachers profit off of this species so it would be very rare that they would comply with restrictions. They could make thousands of dollars on their fur which is something no one would want to give up even if it means killing an innocent creature. 

Habitat loss is the second issue the amur leopard deals with. Amur leopards find shelter in trees and these trees are consistently being cut down by humans. As the population grows there will be an increasing amount of demand for wood and paper which means less shelter and homes for the amur leopard. As climate change increases and the temperature rises, more natural forest fires will emerge causing the leopard homes to be destroyed. These fires can ruin their habitat, but if a tree catches on fire and the leopard is nearby, it creates a safety hazard for the leopard as well.

Although all of these issues are affecting the population of these creatures, organizations such as the World Wildlife Fund are trying to save them. The World Wildlife Fund tries to mitigate poaching with their TRAFFIC program, which is a monitoring network that helps governments regulate the illegal trading of animals and are placing cameras out in the wild to monitor this species and make sure they are not in danger due to poachers. 

As a result of human greed, we have put another species on the brink of extinction. There needs to be a more collective effort to make sure that we don’t risk the population of a species every year. 

If you want to contribute to a cause like the World Wildlife Fund you can adopt an Amur Leopard on this website: https://gifts.worldwildlife.org/gift-center/gifts/Species-Adoptions/Amur-Leopard.aspx

You will get a stuffed animal, a photo, a certificate, and a gift bag!