• Come receive academic support at SEA this Saturday from 9-11am!

Prom Season Hits the Preuss School UCSD
Stacy Rosales, School News Writer • May 15, 2024

With the 2024 Prom season around the corner, several “promposals” have occurred in the span of two weeks. This year's Prom theme will be...

Prom Season Hits the Preuss School UCSD
Senior Swag Dazzles Preuss Campus
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 13, 2024
The Mental Health Marco mannequin welcomes people into the front office.
Testing Encourages Self-Care during Mental Health May
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 10, 2024
Julius Molina
Julius Molina
Editorial Writer

freshman  Clubs/organizations? → none Hobbies? → I like to run, write about up stories, or cooking. Favorite Season? → Fall Place you'd like to visit? →  NYU, Paris,...

Tracy Trinh
Tracy Trinh
Podcast Editor

Senior Clubs/organizations? → TSUNAMI, Speech & Debate Hobbies? → listening to music Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → London Dream job? →...

Diego Albarran
Diego Albarran
Entertainment Editor

Senior Clubs/organizations? → Varsity Soccer Team, Ecology Club, San Diego Food Bank and Father Joe's Village Hobbies? → Soccer, Drawing, Watching movies Favorite Season? →...

In Need of Head to Head Competitions

Carlos
Mr. Arias (right) & Ms. Garcia (left) advisory classes compete against each other.

During my time at Preuss, I only recall two advisory competitions. One of the events that happened last year was the Penny Wars and the other was a scavenger hunt on the UCSD campus. The other tiny events that I remember are the events inside my advisory class which were the pumpkin carving, frosting cookies, and hot chocolate day. I personally think that the school or ASB should create more competitions where advisory classes can go head to head in enjoyable games.

At my old school, O’Farrell Charter School, we participated in a lot of competitions. It kept the school spirit and atmosphere as a fun, competitive, and joyous place. For example, they held a homebase competition and a storytelling competition.

The homebase competition was where the homebase (advisory) competed in a set of games. This occurred during spirit week, so they had to wear clothes based on the theme of the day, which would earn them a point for the homebase they are in. Then on the last day of the spirit week was a potluck. During the last day the homebase teacher would take the students to play in the mini competitions that consisted of physical, mental, and trivia competitions with other homebases. Winning the competitions would give more points that go towards their class. Then the homebase with the most points would be given a trophy, a flag, and bragging rights.

Another competition was the storytelling contest where the students from the same advisory class would perform a play using props, costumes, and actions. A group of teachers chose the winner by determining who had the best movements and story.

The only type of real competitions Pruess has are the competitions of turning in forms the fastest, Penny wars, or being at school everyday. Pruess should try doing competitions that are more enjoyable and unique so that the students are enjoying their time at school. Although Preuss is all about academics, it is good to have a fun competition once in a while to have students involved and excited about their school. It will also be an appeal to the students who are applying to the Preuss.