• Interested in joining the Preuss School cheerleading team? Students must attend all tryouts from April 29th to May 3rd in E102.

Fabian Garcia, (25) Milki Neme,(25) and Mahlet Mekasha(25) at last years JMUN conference.
JMUN Assists In Developing Stronger Skills
Julius Molina, Editorial Writer • May 6, 2024

Most freshmen at Preuss will be participating in the Junior Model United Nations (JMUN) Conference that will be held from May 29-30 at UCSD extension. ...

Jacqueline Hernandez (24), Jessica Mariano (24), and Nicole Nguyen (24) are preparing to cheer for a boys lacrosse game.
Preuss Cheer Presents 24-25 Tryouts
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • April 26, 2024
Princess Project Returns to Preuss
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 12, 2024
Drama Students Begin Shakespeare Production
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 11, 2024
Hafssa Woldegiorgis
Hafssa Woldegiorgis
School News Writer

Freshman Clubs/organizations? → None Hobbies? → Painting, drawing, cooking Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → Dubai and Ethiopia Dream job? →...

Fernanda Salazar
Fernanda Salazar
Media Editor

Clubs/organizations? MUN, Speech and Debate, TSUNAMI, and Finance club. Hobbies? Thrifting, hiking, and spending time with friends and family. Favorite Season? Winter Place you'd like...

Julius Molina
Julius Molina
Editorial Writer

freshman  Clubs/organizations? → none Hobbies? → I like to run, write about up stories, or cooking. Favorite Season? → Fall Place you'd like to visit? →  NYU, Paris,...

Danger Increases for Preuss Students Riding the Trolley

Barbara Guerrero
The Blue Line trolley approaches the UC San Diego Health La Jolla station.

At Preuss, more than half of the students use the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) as their main mode of transportation to get to school and back home. Many students even use public transportation during their free time to hang out with friends. The main mode of transportation is the trolley. Students spend an estimated 30 minutes to an hour one way and an hour back. 

Over the past few months, there has been a slight increase in the amount of homeless people who camp at trolleys or bus stops. Some of them even set up their carts and various bags inside the elevators at trolleys, preventing people from using the elevators. This creates traffic congestion and is a great concern for parents, teachers, and students because all Preuss students who are taking public transportation use the trolley frequently, where the great majority of homeless people camp. 

Ms. Bandy, the College and Career Advisor at Preuss states, “I think that the trolleys are an advantage for field trips, but, also, I believe that many students have experienced very unsafe situations which is a huge downside to the use of public transportation.”

There has been an increase in violence on the trolleys such as possession of weapons, fights, and people under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Many students at Preuss have experienced a moment where one of the scenarios listed occurred, causing the student to feel unsafe. This is especially dangerous because MTS has no control over what is going on all the time meaning they cannot 100% ensure safety. 

Some parents have been afraid to let their children ride the trolley to school because of the potential dangerous scenarios. This is a big problem since they don’t want to lose the opportunity of their student(s) attending  Preuss. This transportation is the only way for students who live far from Preuss to get to school as most parents have to work early in the morning. The school needs to find a solution to the dangerous trolley conditions because it could get worse in the future. 

The trolley has also become much more filthy. I have noticed a great increase of bugs, especially cockroaches and spiders on the trolley, which is mainly due to riders eating and drinking on the trolley. It is truly disgusting and a large issue as it is not as easy to fix due to the amount of trolley carts and lack of workers.

I understand how difficult it is for Preuss to find transportation for their students, but there needs to be a safer option because these students need to be protected.