• Interested in joining the Preuss soccer team? Tryouts will be held from June 5th-7th. Fill out the interest form on the daily bulletin!

New Pride of Preuss member receiving their awards.
Preuss Faculty Select New Pride of Preuss 
Rayan Dahir, Design • June 17, 2024

As the new 24-25 school year is around the corner, the current Pride of Preuss is graduating and welcoming in the new Pride of Preuss at the...

Preuss Holds the Final SEA of the Year
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • June 5, 2024
Prom Season Hits the Preuss School UCSD
Stacy Rosales, School News Writer • May 15, 2024
Senior Swag Dazzles Preuss Campus
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 13, 2024

The Closing of One Chapter and the Beginning of a New One

Carlos Castaneda (24) as a toddler.
Carlos Castaneda (’24) as a toddler.

In August of 2020, I transferred to Preuss after being at The Language Academy for 9 years of my life. Although I was starting during quarantine, I was still nervous to start over at a new school. Since my sister (Karla) was already attending Preuss , I had a little sense of security on the first day of school. 

On the first day of school, I felt weird because I was going from wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt every day to school, to having to wear a uniform every day. I remember the first time I walked into advisory; everyone was curious to see what I looked like after only seeing my forehead for a whole year on zoom. For the entirety of my sophomore year, I would eat lunch with my sister and her friends in the middle of C and D building. The second semester I met my first friend, Issachar (24’).

Fast forward to junior year, I started out with only a couple friends, and I didn’t know people in almost all my classes. Issachar helped me meet most of the people I talk to today, so I’m grateful I was able to meet him during my first year on campus. After the first semester, I started making all my friends, and because my schedule changes in the middle of the year, I started talking to my best friends that I still hang out with to this day. 

Now, I’m in the last month of my senior year, and I am reminiscing about the memories I have made from my first day of school, to the memories I am currently making while I’m counting down the days until graduation. 

My favorite memory of high school was prom as a whole. The week before prom, I was hesitant about attending. I believed people wouldn’t be on the dance floor because I was told the two years prior nobody danced. This year, though, almost everyone was on the dance floor having fun, and I was on the dance floor from almost beginning to end. 

One of the most important people in my high school journey was my sister Karla, who graduated from Preuss my sophomore year. She guided me through high school from freshman year until the very last week of senior year. Without her, I don’t believe I would have the same amount of success that I had. 

In August, I will begin the new chapter of my life at San Diego State University.