• Interested in joining the Preuss School cheerleading team? Students must attend all tryouts from April 29th to May 3rd in E102.

After FAFSA processes, students will be able to know if they are eligible for grants and loans.
Delayed Financial Aid Packages Frustrate Seniors
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • April 28, 2024

Seniors apprehensively check their emails, anticipating financial aid packages which specify the total amount of financial aid offered by the...

Jacqueline Hernandez (24), Jessica Mariano (24), and Nicole Nguyen (24) are preparing to cheer for a boys lacrosse game.
Preuss Cheer Presents 24-25 Tryouts
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • April 26, 2024
Princess Project Returns to Preuss
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 12, 2024
Drama Students Begin Shakespeare Production
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 11, 2024
Blen Fantaw (27)
Blen Fantaw
Podcaster

Freshman Clubs/organizations? → Church congregation Hobbies? → I like to swim and watch movies Favorite season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → I would want to...

Lesly Castillo
Lesly Castillo
Editor-In-Chief

Senior Clubs/organizations? → Journalism Hobbies? → Drawing Favorite weather? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → Peru Dream job? → Ultra sound tech

Rediet Neme
Rediet Neme
School News Writer

Clubs/organizations? Black student union and the ambassadors club at the club fair Hobbies? Basketball Favorite Season? Summer Place you'd like to visit? Paris and Hawaii Dream...

Health Benefits of Pets

Barbara Guerrero
Therapy dogs visit Preuss students during lunch.

Not everyone may have a pet, but for various reasons, a pet can be incredibly beneficial for one’s mental health that others just may not understand.

Having a pet such as a cat, dog, hamster, or even a fish, adds a huge responsibility to one’s life since the pet is alive and needs to be cared for. Having to feed, entertain, and wash a pet can improve and overcome laziness because having to care for a pet gives the pet owner a mandatory chore. This chore eventually becomes a daily activity they might do without realizing. Having a more active pet, like a dog, helps even more with our physical health since dogs have to be taken on a walk one to two times a day, especially if the dog is still very young. They benefit us mostly with exercise and staying fit when it comes to walking them since they do need to be walked for a good amount of time and some dogs need to be walked maybe two to three times a day.

People who live with mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety or physical disabilities can also benefit from owning a pet. For all of these illnesses, there are service animals, mainly dogs and cats, who are trained to help a person with these specific illnesses. Although owning a cat is easier to maintain since they are smaller, take up less space, and require much less attention than a dog does, it is ideal to own a service dog when it comes to helping physically disabled people. They can assist in pushing wheelchairs and guiding the blind. 

Unfortunately, having a service dog can sometimes be too much to handle, as a dog takes up more space in a house or apartment. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, “over 61 million people in the United States live with disabilities, yet less than 1% of this group are benefiting from being teamed with a service dog.” 

Although most people who need one choose not to have a service animal, they should because they might not have a nurse or caretaker with them at all times. So having a substitute can help them more with daily tasks. Besides helping with physical disability, a service animal helps with physical health.

Young children can reap benefits from pets as well. They can learn responsibility just like adults, but they also can grow up with a lower risk for allergies. This is because having a pet with fur helps kids grow up with more tolerance to animal fur.

I have had a few different pets and I even grew up with a dog, so I believe being exposed to a pet helped me in the long run because I’m not allergic to animal fur. Having a pet also helped me become more independent and responsible, especially when I had several pets at once. More people should look into having pets to help them in life or even just to keep them company.