• Interested in joining the Preuss School cheerleading team? Students must attend all tryouts from April 29th to May 3rd in E102.

The Blue Line trolley approaches the UC San Diego Health La Jolla station.
Danger Increases for Preuss Students Riding the Trolley
Alexia De La Mora, Editorial Writer • April 26, 2024

At Preuss, more than half of the students use the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) as their main mode of transportation to get to...

Preuss Cheer Presents 24-25 Tryouts
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • April 26, 2024
Princess Project Returns to Preuss
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 12, 2024
Drama Students Begin Shakespeare Production
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 11, 2024
Angelina Abdelrahman
Angelina Abdelrahman
Editorial Editor

Senior Clubs/organizations? → TSU-NAMI (Triton Students Unite for National Alliance on Mental Illness) Club, Speech and Debate, NHS, Multicultural Club, ASB, Math Tutor, and I intern for the...

Alexia De La Mora
Alexia De La Mora
Editorial Writer

Clubs/organizations? Fashion Club, Rock Band Hobbies? Skating, Volleyball Favorite Season? Fall Place you'd like to visit? Bali or Italy Dream job? Fashion designer or a Interior...

Rediet Neme
Rediet Neme
School News Writer

Clubs/organizations? Black student union and the ambassadors club at the club fair Hobbies? Basketball Favorite Season? Summer Place you'd like to visit? Paris and Hawaii Dream...

The Best Goth Movies from the 2000’s

Courtesy of FreePik
Goth is something many consider to be a fashion style, lifestyle, and aesthetic. Those in the photo represent goth in its style and aesthetic.

The term “goth”refers to a person who favors a subculture that derives from dark wave, goth rock, and ethereal wave. It first became popular in the 1980s for its dark and morbid aesthetic and was first introduced into the movie industry in the early 1900s, due to Thomas Alva Edison’s adaptation of Frankenstein. The goth scene tends to sway many people but don’t worry, the following movies I’m going to rate and talk about regarding the goth scene in the 2000’s are far from scary, disturbing, and discomforting. So don’t leave yet, especially those who are new and interested in the goth scene and don’t know where to start with goth anything. These movies vary from subgenres like vampires, fantasy, and action. The movies I will be recommending are The Crow, Underworld, and Queen of The Damned. Before you watch these movies, viewer discretion is advised. 

• The Crow

The Crow is a fantasy and action movie with an R rating. I would recommend this movie to all ages, but, of course, if you’re ages 10 below, I advise having parental permission. This movie was released in 1994, directed by Alex Proyas and produced by Jeff Most and Edward R. Pressman. The movie consists of a man named Eric Draven who passes away with his fiance, but in a turn of events he actually does not. He rises from the grave to avenge him and his fiance’s death and possesses some sort of powers. The movie is named The Crow because the crow that shows up with Eric and changes his look is a part of his journey on avenging his past. I recommend this movie to people who are already familiar with Constantine or Ghost Rider.

• Queen of The Damned

Queen of The Damned is a fantasy movie pertaining to the vampire universe. It is rated R; therefore I would only recommend this movie to ages 13 and above with parental permission. This movie was released in 2002; it was directed by Michael Rymer and produced by Jorge Saralegui. This movie is a loose sequel to ​​Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles. It follows with the main character Lestat becoming a famous rock star who is done with living his curse alone. Throughout the movie it’s seen that Lestat is looking for someone else to live his days out with, but instead seeks Marius, the person who made him a vampire. He searches so hard for Marius that he ends up awakening the queen of all vampires Akasha, alongside Marius, and the rest of the vampire communities who are upset with him and his music that reveals the truth about vampires. Another plus is the movie’s amazing soundtrack which is composed by Jonathan Davis and Richard Gibbs, and includes artists such as Linkin Park, Disturbed, Static-X, and Deftones. I highly recommend this movie to people who already love Anne Rice’s work to begin with and people who are huge fans of rock and vampires because the movie combines both together. 

• Underworld

Underworld is a fantasy and thriller movie that is also involved in the vampire universe. It has an R rating, but  I highly encourage students to watch this movie if you are at least 12 or above with parental permission. This movie was released in 2003 and was directed by Len Wiseman and produced by Gary Lucchesi, Tom Rosenberg, and Richard Wright. This movie is not only about vampires but also lycans, or werewolves. The movie consists of the main character Selene, who is a vampire warrior. Throughout the course of the movie she encounters a lycan that is a part of the upcoming conflict she is going to face. A war is brewing and Selene must choose which side to fight for, her kind or the lycans. I would recommend this movie to people who already like Blade, Van Helsing, and Hellboy

These movies all display qualities of goth by the performances and music that goes along with them, as well as the vibrance and aesthetic surrounding them. I selected these movies because they diverged me into the goth scene as a kid without being aware of it. They all had amazing plots and I think that there are no more movies made like this anymore and it should at least be honored.