• Check out the Scholastic BOGO Book Fair any day this week from 8am-3:30pm.
  • Mark your calendars for the 2024 Airband on April 19! Tickets will be sold during lunch up until the day of the event.
  • The annual Multicultural Festival will be on Saturday, April 20th at 11am. Come enjoy student performances and cultural foods!

Princess Project Returns to Preuss
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 12, 2024
Drama Students Begin Shakespeare Production
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 11, 2024
Zetseat Damte
Zetseat Damte
Photographer

Freshman Clubs/organizations? → Church Hobbies? → Basketball Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → London Dream job? → Lawyer or Fashion Designer

Diego Albarran
Diego Albarran
Entertainment Editor

Senior Clubs/organizations? → Varsity Soccer Team, Ecology Club, San Diego Food Bank and Father Joe's Village Hobbies? → Soccer, Drawing, Watching movies Favorite Season? →...

Finance Club Hosts Their Annual Pi Day

Barbara Guerrero
Students and staff enjoyed the most of Pi Day.

The now annual Pi day fundraiser took place from March 13th to March 15th, and was hosted by the Finance Club. This fundraiser raises money for the club, and each grade level also earns a portion of the profits. Advisory teachers and students were encouraged to participate to create an enjoyable activity while also contributing funds to their class.

Students participating pay money to “pie,” or throw plates of whipped cream, at students or teachers. The prices were based on the distance students chose to throw the pie.

For this event, each grade level was assigned a day to participate with their advisory teachers and class. Seniors experienced the first pie throws on the 12th of March, followed by Juniors on the 13th, Sophomores on the 14th, and finally, Freshman on the 15th.

Members of the Finance Club staffed Pi day; they helped make the pies and were in charge of handling the money. The prices ranged from three dollars five feet away and five dollars for closer distance, which allowed smearing. To encourage participation, the club cut the price to two dollars. Most of the students who participated had a very enjoyable time and felt more anticipation for this event next year.

“I liked being able to pie my friends, and get pied myself, especially being able to smother the participant’s face with whipped cream. But from the perspective of being pied, it was pretty exciting in a way. I feel like it gave our grade a sense of community,” stated Jason Tran (‘26).

In the end, Sophomores contributed the most amount of money towards their grade. Sophomores had three rounds of switching out participants because many offered to get pied. However, the Seniors had a different experience and outcome. Their participation level was the lowest compared to other grades.

“This event was very enjoyable, and pieing others made me wish that more advisory teachers would volunteer as it would be something to look forward to,” mentioned Andy Phan (‘25).

With the outcome in mind, Finance Club found this event to be similar to last year’s Pie Day. The Finance Club hopes to create more enthusiasm for this event and create more opportunities for others to participate. They would like to have more funds towards grades and continue to improve this event.

“I was going around advertising for this event telling others to sign up to get pied. However, I do feel there could have been more people contributing to their grade despite how much more successful this year’s Pie day was as compared to last year,” expressed Htun Win (‘25).

The funds will go towards other important events like prom and future potential field trips.