• Come receive academic support at SEA this Saturday from 9-11am!

Prom Season Hits the Preuss School UCSD
Stacy Rosales, School News Writer • May 15, 2024

With the 2024 Prom season around the corner, several “promposals” have occurred in the span of two weeks. This year's Prom theme will be...

Prom Season Hits the Preuss School UCSD
Senior Swag Dazzles Preuss Campus
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 13, 2024
The Mental Health Marco mannequin welcomes people into the front office.
Testing Encourages Self-Care during Mental Health May
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 10, 2024
Priscila Ambriz
Priscila Ambriz
Entertainment Writer

Senior Clubs/organizations? → None Hobbies? → Reading and watching tv! Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → France Dream job? → Unsure

Lesly Castillo
Lesly Castillo
Editor-In-Chief

Senior Clubs/organizations? → Journalism Hobbies? → Drawing Favorite weather? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → Peru Dream job? → Ultra sound tech

Vy Thai
Vy Thai
Editor-In-Chief

Clubs/organizations? → Interact Club, Science Olympiad, Access Youth Academy, Sharp Grossmont Hospital Hobbies? → Baking, biking, swimming at the beach, hanging out with friends Favorite...

Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Noorzay

Barbara Guerrero
Ms. Noorzay advises a student on how they can improve their art piece.

Ms. Noorzay is Preuss’ well known art teacher, but she didn’t always work at Preuss. Ms. Noorzay was born in Ohio; then she and her family traveled to Afghanistan, her home country, and that’s where she grew up for most of her childhood. But, due to the invasion of the Russians, she and her parents migrated back to America. 

Ms. Noorzay has traveled to many different countries including Germany, India, Pakistan, Iran, and most of the central states in the U.S. until she finally settled in San Diego. Before becoming Preuss’ art teacher, she worked at a fast food chicken restaurant in the San Fernando Valley.

Even though Ms. Noorzay graduated from UCSD, she wasn’t always planning to work at Preuss. In fact, she didn’t even know what Preuss was until one day, her daughter was scrolling through some job opportunities and came across Preuss. She then told Ms. Noorzay that she should work at Preuss since she didn’t have a job at the time. 

“At first, I was hesitant, since Preuss was over an hour away from where I lived. But, I went to the interview and ended up getting hired!” Ms. Noorzay exclaims.

Ms. Noorzay’s art classes engage in many projects throughout the year. She is currently hoping to involve community partners to give her students a broader perspective on some project options. In January her class completed a backdrop for a concert that occurred at the Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center that was a collaboration with Art of Elan, a San Diego music group, doing a concert called “Death and the Maiden.” 

Death and the Maiden was a play/concert about a woman named Paulina Salas, a former political prisoner in a Latin American country who was tortured and harmed by a man that her husband unknowingly brought to their home for more than 20 years.

This weekend, her art classes also collaborated with the La Jolla Symphony. Two of Preuss’s very own composers, Mauricio Salas (‘25) and Giselle Montufar (‘26), wrote music compositions under the theme corresponding to who the guest composer is in the symphony this season.

So far Ms. Noorzay is really enjoying her time at Preuss and isn’t in a rush to leave just yet.

“I’m glad that I listened to my daughter and came to this school, plus I’ve been wanting to be an art teacher for a while!” says Ms. Noorzay.