• Interested in joining the Preuss School cheerleading team? Students must attend all tryouts from April 29th to May 3rd in E102.

Testing Encourages Self-Care during Mental Health May
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • May 10, 2024

As AP students reach the end of their academic curriculum, they will take the AP exam that may allow them to start university with some completed...

ASB Welcome New 2024-2025 Staff
Stacy Rosales, School News Writer • May 10, 2024
Preuss Students Cautioned from Roaming UCSD Amid Protests
Marlene Rojas-Renteria, School News Writer • May 10, 2024
Hafssa Woldegiorgis
Hafssa Woldegiorgis
School News Writer

Freshman Clubs/organizations? → None Hobbies? → Painting, drawing, cooking Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → Dubai and Ethiopia Dream job? →...

Zetseat Damte
Zetseat Damte
Photographer

Freshman Clubs/organizations? → Church Hobbies? → Basketball Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → London Dream job? → Lawyer or Fashion Designer

Heaven Woldai
Heaven Woldai
Media Editor

Senior Clubs/organizations? → ASB, Robotics, TSUNAMI, Speech and Debate, NHS, Rho Kappa, Henna Club Hobbies? →Watching Netflix, hanging out with friends, swimming Favorite Season? →...

The Lunar New Year Celebration

AAPI+club+presents+a+Lunar+New+Year+cultural+performance.+
Barbara Guerrero
AAPI club presents a Lunar New Year cultural performance.

The worldwide Lunar New Year celebration began on February 10, and this year is the year of the Dragon.
This is a very important and fun celebration for Asian culture. In some countries it is known as the Spring Festival; every culture celebrates Lunar New Year in their own way with different traditions and foods.

The Lunar New Year starts with the first new moon of the Chinese calendar. People attend the Lunar New Year festivals and big family dinners that represent good luck for the new year. In these events, people give each other gifts which include presents, good luck fruits, red envelopes, and rice cakes. Lunar New Year is a fifteen day celebration filled with many traditions that represent good luck, such as windows with red paper cuttings, lantern festival, dinners, and dragon dancing.

Mylinh Nguyen (25’) states, “I went to my uncle’s house for a big dinner and I got money from a red envelope. We also burned fake money, had lion dancing, and fireworks.”

Dinners and other events are a time when elders tell old folk stories to express their culture and beliefs as part of the celebration. Also, families burn incense to worship their ancestors. A common tradition during Lunar New Year is giving red envelopes filled with money to young people.

James Nguyen (25’) states, “I sat all day at home during Chinese Lunar New Year and I got a red envelope from my uncle with lots of money. I also saw a lot of places around the city celebrating the Lunar New Year.”

The San Diego Zoo Safari Park hosted a two-day Chinese Lunar New Year celebration filled with fun activities and traditions. The Linda Vista Farmers Market will host Chinese dragon dancing and performances. The Los Penasquitos Preserve will also celebrate the Lunar New Year with storytelling of Asian culture. There will be a Chinese New Year Festival at Balboa Park with food, dances, and cultural performances. The Old Globe theater will also have an event with guest artists, music, and dances. Various parts of San Diego are celebrating the Chinese New Year, the year of the dragon.