• Interested in joining the Preuss School cheerleading team? Students must attend all tryouts from April 29th to May 3rd in E102.

After FAFSA processes, students will be able to know if they are eligible for grants and loans.
Delayed Financial Aid Packages Frustrate Seniors
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • April 28, 2024

Seniors apprehensively check their emails, anticipating financial aid packages which specify the total amount of financial aid offered by the...

Jacqueline Hernandez (24), Jessica Mariano (24), and Nicole Nguyen (24) are preparing to cheer for a boys lacrosse game.
Preuss Cheer Presents 24-25 Tryouts
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • April 26, 2024
Princess Project Returns to Preuss
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 12, 2024
Drama Students Begin Shakespeare Production
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 11, 2024
Tracy Trinh
Tracy Trinh
Podcast Editor

Senior Clubs/organizations? → TSUNAMI, Speech & Debate Hobbies? → listening to music Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → London Dream job? →...

Junior  Clubs/organizations? → Interact and Dreamers Hobbies? → Baseball, Cooking, and Videogames Favorite Season? → Spring Place you'd like to visit? → Globe Life...

Junior Clubs/organizations? → Rock band Hobbies? → Read, sleep, and Legos Favorite season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → Italy Dream job? → Lawyer

Preuss Ponders Future Of The Music Program

Barbara Guerrero
Music student practices the piano.

Before the start of the 2023-2024 school year, Preuss’ only music teacher, Dr. Hwong, made the decision to retire. Returning music students as well as beginners were introduced to a new music teacher, Mr. Hemingway, who unfortunately left soon  after the school year started. As a result, Mr. Shapp served as temporary substitute; then the classes transitioned into being taught by Mr. Diego, who also left as the second semester started.

Mr. Diego explained that his departure was due to having to travel to New York for personal reasons. Currently, Mr. Shapp is in charge of the music department.

“As of now, I’m not entirely sure when or if Preuss will hire a new music teacher,” Mr. Shapp explained. “To be honest, I don’t even think there is a plan to hire one.”

Despite Mr. Shapps’ brief knowledge of music, he still has been able to teach classes such as  Intro to Piano and Intro to Guitar. His main focus is guitar since he himself is much more experienced in that field, he has confided in Mauricio Salas’ (‘25) broad knowledge of music and instruments to be able to teach the other classes.

“I don’t mind learning with Mr. Shapp. I like that he lets us figure out this stuff (guitar) on our own,” Heather Trinh said (‘24).

However, students, specifically those who have yet to complete their Visual and Performing Arts year (VAPA), have expressed their concern for the lack of a permanent and knowledgeable teacher. Alternatively, students who desperately need to complete their VAPA year can take an online course on either AP Music Theory or Photography. 

“I have to do an online course in order to complete my VAPA year, but it’s kinda hard because there’s no teacher and I’m more likely to get distracted,” Vianeth Montano Lepe confesses (‘25).

Music students aren’t sure of what the future holds for the music department but regardless, they are happy to be able to continue in their music education for however long they can.