• The last day to buy ASB Ball tickets is February 22st. Pay the full price or make a down payment!
  • Academic support will be provided at SEA on February 24th from 9-11am.
  • Interested in law? Join the Law Day at Preuss on March 9th from 10am-12pm to explore careers in this industry.

Juniors Sell Class Shirts
Marlene Rojas-Renteria, School News Writer • February 21, 2024
Preuss Introduces Boys Basketball for Middle Schoolers
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • February 7, 2024
Preuss Community Falls Victim to Excessive Rainfall
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • January 31, 2024

Make Chat GPT Off Limits

Barbara Guerrero
ChatGBT, an AI system, can now be downloaded on phones.

Launched last year, 2022, Chat GPT, the recently famous AI system, has made its way into students’ classwork, homework, and projects. This app was made to help people with educational subjects such as writing and answering difficult questions that come to mind, but recently people have been using it to cheat on tests and write their essays.

Students at Preuss have used Chat GPT to plagiarize their work. In doing this student grades improve because it seems that they’re writing is amazing since it comes from a robot. It’s frustrating because they are not putting in the effort that other students put in to get that same grade. Another issue with this AI system is that when students use it they are not building the skills needed to write and are not learning about the subjects in their classes.

“Many students will try to use Chat GPT but I usually do a lot of prewriting to make sure students are doing their own work just to avoid having that problem. I do admit I have gave it a try and I see how it could be useful and I understand why students may be tempted to use it, but again, I just hope students are using it for the right reasons,” Mr. Scott, 9th grade English teacher, explains.

This AI system can be negative but also a positive resource. Teachers use the application to help them create classwork. Nevertheless, they are using it as a resource, not copying and pasting the information they get from chat GPT and labeling it as their work.

Chat GPT should not be used to plagiarize their work but it can also be a resource to help students get ideas or create better writing. Sometimes I get stuck on my work when it comes to answering difficult questions for classes such as math and writing essays for English and Spanish classes. I have never actually used Chat GPT, but I do sometimes write questions into Google to support me with school.

Chat GPT should only be used in school as a resource. But students can’t be trusted, so it should be banned on school computers, and if students need support and help they can ask their teachers or use Google. Chat GPT has its positives but the cons outweigh the pros when it comes to students using the system.