• Check out the Scholastic BOGO Book Fair any day this week from 8am-3:30pm.
  • Mark your calendars for the 2024 Airband on April 19! Tickets will be sold during lunch up until the day of the event.
  • The annual Multicultural Festival will be on Saturday, April 20th at 11am. Come enjoy student performances and cultural foods!

Princess Project Returns to Preuss
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 12, 2024
Drama Students Begin Shakespeare Production
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 11, 2024
Hafssa Woldegiorgis
Hafssa Woldegiorgis
School News Writer

Freshman Clubs/organizations? → None Hobbies? → Painting, drawing, cooking Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → Dubai and Ethiopia Dream job? →...

Vy Thai
Vy Thai
Editor-In-Chief

Clubs/organizations? → Interact Club, Science Olympiad, Access Youth Academy, Sharp Grossmont Hospital Hobbies? → Baking, biking, swimming at the beach, hanging out with friends Favorite...

James Webb Shines Brighter than Hubble

This telescope in Mr. Fozi’s room is used for his science classes.

The James Webb Space Telescope is the newest launched telescope by NASA using Europe’s Spaceport in New Guiana. It has been almost two years since it was launched on December 25, 2021. The telescope has improved upon the biggest space telescopes and became the best space telescope. This has led to the biggest improvement in the observation of space.

The goals of the JWST was to study the first galaxies, how the galaxies and stars change over time, observe the exoplanets, and study our solar system. It has progressed in these goals by creating amazing images.
MACS 0416 (Hubble and Webb Compared).
The images above are created by Hubble and JWST, respectively. The Hubble is the one on the left and the JWST is on the right. The Hubble created the image in 122 hours while the JWST created the image in 22 hours, according to the website webbtelescope.org. However, the JWST has much more detail and brighter colors.

The difference in quality is caused by the improvement of the technology available for the creation of space telescopes and the different spectrum of information that each telescope looks at. The Hubble looks primarily at optical and ultraviolet rays, while the James Webb looks at infrared light. To look at the infrared light the James Webb telescope has a tertiary mirror to focus the light it observes while being almost three times bigger than the Hubble telescope. The improved technology allows it to see very faint light.

Even though the technology in the JWST is better, the Hubble space telescope in my opinion is still the best and primary space telescope in the world. The Hubble space telescope has discovered a lot of information about space, and led to many creations and ideas of and about space. But we have squeezed out most of the potential of the hubble telescope in the 33 years it has been in outer space. But with the new technology of the James Webb Space Telescope has unlocked new fields for us to discover and improve our insights of space. These will propel our knowledge of outer space in the future, so in my opinion this telescope has the biggest potential to discover information.