• Interested in joining the Preuss School cheerleading team? Students must attend all tryouts from April 29th to May 3rd in E102.

After FAFSA processes, students will be able to know if they are eligible for grants and loans.
Delayed Financial Aid Packages Frustrate Seniors
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • April 28, 2024

Seniors apprehensively check their emails, anticipating financial aid packages which specify the total amount of financial aid offered by the...

Jacqueline Hernandez (24), Jessica Mariano (24), and Nicole Nguyen (24) are preparing to cheer for a boys lacrosse game.
Preuss Cheer Presents 24-25 Tryouts
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • April 26, 2024
Princess Project Returns to Preuss
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 12, 2024
Drama Students Begin Shakespeare Production
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 11, 2024
Lesly Castillo
Lesly Castillo
Editor-In-Chief

Senior Clubs/organizations? → Journalism Hobbies? → Drawing Favorite weather? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → Peru Dream job? → Ultra sound tech

Priscila Ambriz
Priscila Ambriz
Entertainment Writer

Senior Clubs/organizations? → None Hobbies? → Reading and watching tv! Favorite Season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → France Dream job? → Unsure

Heaven Woldai
Heaven Woldai
Media Editor

Senior Clubs/organizations? → ASB, Robotics, TSUNAMI, Speech and Debate, NHS, Rho Kappa, Henna Club Hobbies? →Watching Netflix, hanging out with friends, swimming Favorite Season? →...

What do Preuss Scholars Listen To?

The Preuss School UC San Diego is full of diverse students with varied musical interests. Our scholars’ playlists are nothing short of unique, whether it be artists such as Kali Uchis or music coming from students’ cultural backgrounds such as Los Angeles Azules, Michael Adonai, Hom Nguyen and various other incredible artists.

Yusuf Adan (‘26)

Yusuf Adan (‘26)

What genre(s) of music do you listen to the most?

“I listen to a lot of rap, hip hop and R & B.”

What music are you listening to right now?

“HG4” “by Rod Wave.”

What cultural music do you listen to? Who in your family influenced you to listen to it on your own?

“The cultural music I listen to is Burna Boy music and I was put on by my sister. I’ve been listening to it every single time I’m in the car with my sister.”

What is your favorite album of all time and why?

“My favorite album of all time is Hood Gospel by Rod Wave, it’s like the way he takes traditional rap, you know how traditional rap is kind of ugly a bit. It’s like the gang’s, violence, drugs but he puts more of a like soulful take on it, it’s a lot more of singing and r & b. A lot of people say his music is kind of sad or something but honestly it’s just a window to his heart.”

What music helps you wind down? How does it make you feel? When do you play it?

“I listen to Brent Faiyaz to wind down, I listen to him because most of the time his songs are fast paced and get me going but his songs are actually understandable to hear the lyrics to…it’s kind of soulful. It makes me feel more mellow, like I can sit down and finish my work…I honestly play it around 7-9pm, the time I set myself to wind down and sleep after 9pm.”

Sebastian Gomez (‘30)

Sebastian Gomez (‘30)

“I listen to country, rock, jazz, and a little bit of classical music.”

“Mr. Blue Sky “”By Electric Orchestra.”

What cultural music do you listen to and who in your family influenced you to listen to it on your own?

“Some cultural music I’ve been influenced to listen to is cumbias and I was influenced by my Grandpa. A song that reminds me of my Grandpa’s cumbias is “Cumbia Gabacha.”

“It would probably be Wovoka by RedBone because it transcends a blend of rock, funk, Native American musical influences. Its groovy rhythms always sooth the mood of the day for me. I would also credit my dad who is a big influence on my music taste and who I idolize. ”

“It sounds weird but rock music helps wind down especially when I wake up. It’s almost like coffee for me. I always play rock music all the time but to be specific I listen to it mostly after school.”

Betiana Mercier (‘29)

Betiana Mercier (‘29′)

“I listen to Kpop and musica latina..”

“I’m listening to “Chili” by Hwasa”

“I listen to reggaeton and my sister influenced me to listen to it.”

“My favorite album is My World by Aespa and I like it because of the songs and the visuals that the music videos in the album have.”

“It really depends on the mood but my go to music genre is Kpop and it makes me want to dance. I tend to listen to this music when I’m on the trolley or when I’m bored.”

Younase Mekonnen (‘24)

Younase Mekonnen (’24)

“I listen to rap and R&B music”

“The last song I listened to is “Dior” By Pop Smoke.”

“I listen to Ethiopian music that sometimes has the known genre Ethio-jazz. My mom was the one who influenced me to listen to Ethiopian music. I think the same goes for most cultures as children are usually influenced by a family member to listen to cultural music of the child’s descent.”

“My favorite album is Take Care By Drake because I think his older stuff sounds better and the vibe of the album is chill.”

“The music that helps me wind down is minecraft. I somehow always feel relaxed because it reminds me of the time when I was younger and when I used to play minecraft with my neighbors kids. I usually tend to play the music after I leave school, when I finish a test, or during a stressful time”

After interviewing these four students, it’s clear that their families have an influence on their musical tastes. Although aside from their interests in music, have you considered listening to any of the songs suggested above, expanding on your own music taste, and further indulging your own cultural musical preferences?