• Interested in joining the Preuss School cheerleading team? Students must attend all tryouts from April 29th to May 3rd in E102.

Fabian Garcia, (25) Milki Neme,(25) and Mahlet Mekasha(25) at last years JMUN conference.
JMUN Assists In Developing Stronger Skills
Julius Molina, Editorial Writer • May 6, 2024

Most freshmen at Preuss will be participating in the Junior Model United Nations (JMUN) Conference that will be held from May 29-30 at UCSD extension. ...

Jacqueline Hernandez (24), Jessica Mariano (24), and Nicole Nguyen (24) are preparing to cheer for a boys lacrosse game.
Preuss Cheer Presents 24-25 Tryouts
Rediet Neme, School News Writer • April 26, 2024
Princess Project Returns to Preuss
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 12, 2024
Drama Students Begin Shakespeare Production
Amy Shantal Bustos Garcia, School News Writer • March 11, 2024
Carlos Castaneda
Carlos Castaneda
Photographer

Junior Clubs/organizations? → none Hobbies? → Video Games Favorite season? → Winter Place you'd like to visit? → Cabo Dream job? → N/A

Junior Clubs/organizations? → Rho Kappa Hobbies? → Watching movies, Listening to music, Video games Favorite season? → Fall Place you'd like to visit? → London, England...

Prajyna Timalsina
Prajyna Timalsina
Editorial Writer

Junior Clubs/organizations? → None Hobbies? → Walking, Reading, Sightseeing Favorite Season? → Fall Place you'd like to visit? → The weird temples in the wild everywhere Dream...

AP Biology Ventures Into San Diego Safari Park

AP Biology’s first field trip took place at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. On Thursday September 28th, all seniors in AP Biology were accompanied by their teacher, Ms. Ackerman, to a laboratory where students would take a deeper look into the lives of rhinoceroses. When first arriving, students were expected to learn more about scientists but also use it as an opportunity to gain more information about the lab itself.

“The idea of the lab was to get an understanding of how scientists in the safari park test if a rhino is pregnant or not. What we did was combine rhino DNA with chemicals and if the final solution was a certain color then it would tell us if the rhino was pregnant,” stated Kevin Hernandez (24’).

Throughout this process students retained information on the possible extinction of rhinos and recognized the slight differences between some rhinos we see in California compared to other places in the world. However, students not only learned about the animal, but they were also able to experiment with rhinos progesterone (pregnancy hormones in females) samples, and learn about their pregnancy situations even more.

“Unlike humans, I learned that the time spans for rhinos are much shorter. It takes 8 months for rhinos to give birth while an average human takes around 9 months to go through labor,” expressed Heather Trinh (24’).

After completing their research, students were given a limited period of time to explore the safari park. Some students went off to see other animals but also got to venture into the “frozen zoo.” Through this, many got to see animal sperm that were kept in tubes to remain frozen for breeding.

“I found the frozen zoo to be interesting, but I especially liked seeing the monkeys. I thought the monkeys were really cute. I enjoyed learning about how they interacted with each other and how they eat on a daily basis. I would definitely go again,” mentioned Bao Banh (24’).