San Diego Celebrates Cinco De Mayo

Lesly Castillo

The busy streets of Old Town during their 2023 Cinco de Mayo celebration.

Lesly Castillo, Entertainment Editor

Cinco De Mayo has been a day of celebration in honor of Mexico’s victory over the Second French Empire in 1862. Cinco de Mayo has so much pride associated with it, especially since there was a point where there were not many celebrations for the Hispanic community. In San Diego, there are multiple places that have held celebrations for the day.

On Friday, May 5 from 12:00 AM – 11:30 PM, Old Town held their Ultimate Old Town Cinco de Mayo San Diego celebration. This is local for students who take the trolley that passes Old Town after school. There was live entertainment like Latin bands, the Lowrider Lane to view unique car designs, and traditional dance performances. There was also music, local food options, festive drink specials, etc. There was a wide selection of burritos, tacos, and traditional Mexican food.

There was also the Cinco De Mayo Festival on May 7th, Sunday from 11AM-5PM. It was held at Grape Day Park in Escondido. The mayors of North County attended the event at 2PM with proclamations and a ribbon cutting celebration. There was a place for dancing, music, vendors, and food. There were also prizes for kids and adults. Guests could also bring their fur babies and dress them up to be in the Hay Chihuahua contest at 1PM. This is a very family friendly event to encourage bringing more guests and fun for students.

At Balboa Park, starting at 11AM to Sunday on May 7, 2023, the House of Pacific Relations hosted its 40th annual ethnic food fair. There were multiple food selections from different places. At Balboa Park, there was also the International Cottages as well with almost 20 different cultural performances.

At Seaport Village, the fest began at 11 AM Saturday. The fest included multiple showcases like Adriana Hernandez and La Laguna’s equestrian showcase. There was also music from multiple famous artists like Selena, Luis Daniel, etc. and from an impersonator, Juan Gabriel. Food and beverages were also available to guests, with multiple kinds of Hispanic foods which differs from the other places that focus on just Mexican food, accepting all foods from different Latinos. With the location, there was more than enough space for others to dance to the music.

It’s highly encouraged to go and explore San Diego and events held for locals and their families. These different places are great as they’re free to walk into as other places would charge for the celebration, assuring the possibilities of families and students attending. These places are fun and different local places in San Diego that students or families should participate in. Guests may even go any other day, as well, if they like the parks.