Preuss Co-Hosts T&T MUN Conference

Barbara Guerrero

Preuss prepares the Walton Center for the T&T MUN Conference.

Marlene Rojas, School News Writer

This year, Preuss is given the opportunity to host students from other schools and display the hard work and commitment of our Preuss MUN staff, alumni, and partners. On Saturday, March 18th, Preuss will host their fourth annual T&T MUN Conference in the Walton Center from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The conference is sponsored by La Jolla Country Day and The Preuss School UCSD, where delegates come up with ideas to solve real world problems.

Both the Preuss School UCSD MUN and LJCDS Torrey MUN will be co-hosting and participating in the conference. Students from all over San Diego County were invited to come together to debate and discuss solutions regarding real world, historical, or fantasy topics.

“The best advice that I can give to anyone in a conference is to research, prepare, and overall just try to have fun,” said Agnes Agoh (23’).

This year, the committees that are included are SOCHUM (combating human trafficking), UNESCO (global access to education), Narcos (the future war on drugs), UNSC (open agenda on the space race), The Spanish-American War, and Stranger Things (what if the demogorgon was real?)

Delegates heavily gain speaking skills and research experience. These students are able to get out of their comfort zone by formulating arguments and ideas to further improve themselves and get ready for their MUN debate sessions. Apart from gaining the opportunity to learn how to formulate opinions and ideas on real world events, delegates are also able to attain extra credit in their history class.

“Personally, what I love most about MUN is how we are able to make new friends and demonstrate our abilities to argue with others regardless of background,” explained Fabian Garcia (25’).

Volunteers and conference officers are more in charge of helping get everything prepared for the conference. Both of these jobs help students earn hosting experience and volunteering hours.

The conference will be very similar to a regular MUN Conference, students who participated in JMUN in the school year of 2021-2022 are familiar with how it works. For those who haven’t, there is a T&T MUN website that provides more and up to date information. On this website, preparations for the committees and topics are available.

“MUN is generally just a great opportunity to make new contacts and friends, get out of the Preuss bubble, and explore a community full of people who just like to debate,” concluded Agoh.