Spanish National Honor Society Inducts its 2023 Members

`

Ellery Juarez

Spanish National Honor Society officially welcomes their new members.

Amy Shantal Bustos, School News Writer

The Preuss Spanish National Honor Society is hosting its annual induction ceremony in the Walton Center on February 10, 2023. Ms. Zamora, the advisor, and its officers will be leading the ceremony after school. 

The purpose of the SNHS induction ceremony is to introduce new students into the club by having them take an oath and promise to master the Spanish language someday. The ceremony starts off with the national anthems from Spain, Mexico, and the US, followed by an introduction from Dr. Steitz and Ms. Zamora. 

Ms. Zamora has been the advisor for the Spanish National Honor society since 2017 after she realized Preuss didn’t have its own society and made the decision of starting one. Before beginning to work for Preuss, she was an advisor in Maryland for ten years and decided that continuing being an advisor here in San Diego was what she wanted to pursue.

The students get to participate in certain service activities all around San Diego and as well as in Los Angeles. By simply being a member of the SNHS, students look more appealing to college admission officers, scholars get access to research grants, get a chance to build their resumes, and become more aware of the Spanish culture and develop a deeper interest for it. Not only are students being congratulated for their participation in the study of Spanish but are also being recognized for maintaining a GPA of 3.75 or higher while juggling many other courses. 

Since 2017, the number of students being inducted into SNHS has only increased. This year, 18 students will be inducted. 

“I encourage everyone who is eligible to join the Spanish National Honor Society!” said Ms. Zamora. 

A requirement is that students must be accompanied by one member of their families to represent them and formal wear is also enforced.

After the introduction, the guest speaker will give the keynote address. This year’s guest speaker is Pat Salas, known for being the president of SBHIS Insurance services, a Medicare agency based in Chula Vista. The Preuss School has had the honor of having Dr. Luz Yee, Dr. Antonio Grillo, Patricia Alvarez, and Irving Pedroza represent our Spanish National Honor Society and its members.