Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Enthralls Fans

Courtesy of the Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Movie Trailer

Thien "Henit" Nguyen, Entertainment Writer

Jujutsu Kaisen 0 a highly anticipated anime movie that was released on March 18, 2022 in the USA. Jujutsu Kaisen 0 being a prequel to the series goes in depth with a character that wasn’t revealed in the anime yet.

Jujutsu Kaisen is set in a world where some humans are able to wield cursed energy and are able to use it to exorcize cursed spirits. Jujutsu Kaisen normally follows the story of Yuji Itaadori; however, the movie focuses on Yuta Okkutsu, a special-grade sorcerer who descended from a very strong line of sorcerers.

Yuta had a childhood friend named Rika who died when he was young due to a car crash, and ever since she has been with him as a cursed spirit.

Yuta Okkotsu is very different from our normal protagonist. He starts out as a gloomy and bullied student who feels like he has nothing to live for. Yuta’s cursed spirit one day injures many bullies and he’s forced to be executed; however Yuta cannot yet control his spirit and stops many top sorcerers. This is when the Jujutsu society sends their strongest sorcerer Gojo Satorou. Gojo takes Yuta into Jujutsu High, an academy for sorcerers. At Jujutsu High, Yuta is able to make friends and hone his skills as a special-grade sorcerer making him one of the strongest alive.

As Yuta gets stronger, more people want to kill him, Geto Suguru, another special-grade sorcerer that turned on the Jujutsu society following his own beliefs, wants to kill Yuta in order to absorb his cursed spirit which he thinks would make him the strongest sorcerer.

We later figure out that Rika didn’t randomly turn into a cursed spirit. It was mainly because of Yuta who didn’t know he cursed Rika and turned her into a spirit.

Jujutsu Kaisen 0 was a great movie that could be used to introduce someone new to the anime and was also a great way to enhance the main story and get fans hyped for season 2 of Jujutsu Kaisen. The fights are fantastic and didn’t let fans down with the fluid choreography which made the movie budget worth it. The backstory of Yuta was also very well executed showing glimpses of his childhood throughout the movie.

The movie gave fans what we wanted: great fights, the story of two of the special grade sorcerers and Gojo. Overall the movie was enjoyable and I would highly recommend it.