Preuss Esports Team Initiates Season

Diego Albarran, School News Writer

The Preuss School UC San Diego esports team began their season this February and have competed in three games so far.

Esports is an electronic sport where players play competitive video games against other teams. This will be the first year the Preuss esports teams will compete against other schools in the county and this season they will be playing the video game, “League of Legends.”

Preuss Esports member Khang Thai (24’) states, “League of Legends is a fun game and I really enjoy playing it with my friends against other schools because it gets intense.”

League of Legends is a team-based strategy game where two teams of five powerful champions/characters face off to destroy the other team’s base. The players can choose from over 140 champions to make epic plays, secure kills, and take down towers as you battle your way to victory.

Esports might seem easier compared to physical sports since many high schoolers play video games, but it actually is as hard and competitive as any other sport. Not only does esports embrace a student’s passion for competitive gaming but it also requires creativity, problem solving, teamwork and communication, as well as skill.

Science Teacher/Tech Committee, Mr. Kim says, “ As a coach of the Preuss Esports team, I think it’s a great idea for students to compete in something that they’re passionate about and I don’t have to worry about them lacking motivation.“

For those students who are interested in entering but “League of Legends” isn’t a game they want to compete in, a variety of other games will be played competitively such as popular games “Rocket League,” “Mario Kart,” and more. These games will possibly be played competitively in future seasons.

For now, esports game results will be posted in the Preuss Athletics Website along with other sports news.