Winter Sports Strive to Complete their Shortened Season

Diego Albarran, School News Writer

Due to the 4 weeks of remote learning, the winter sports season has been cut short.

Junior Varsity soccer and basketball games have been canceled for the remainder of the season. Some Varsity soccer and basketball games have also been canceled, yet a few games are scheduled to finish off the season.

Environmental Health and Safety/ Athletics Coach Mr. Fulchiron states “ It really sucks that we have to make up so many games in only two weeks.”

The Boys Varsity soccer team will be making up six competitive games in two weeks,starting from February 1st to February 11th. The Girls Varsity soccer team will have games throughout February 1st to February 8th. At the same time, The Girls Varsity basketball team will be competing from February 2nd to February 10th and the Boys Varsity basketball team will have their final games from February 1st to February 8th. The JV teams in both Basketball and Soccer were not able to reschedule their final games of the season and are no longer competing.

Varsity Soccer player Anthony Perez (22’) comments, “ COVID-19 did affect our season because some games got canceled and we were not able to practice due to online school.”

Junior Varsity and Varsity soccer and basketball teams were not able to practice as a team at Preuss for the few weeks of remote learning this school year, as well as the previous 2 years due to the spread of COVID-19. Unfortunately, this year it occurred during the time of the Winter Sports season which affected their ability to perform at the level they wanted too while other high school Varsity teams practiced most of this year and even competed in the previous years.

Results of the Winter Sports season this year can be found on the Preuss Athletics website. Junior Varsity and Varsity teams are still adapting to the circumstances of this new in-person school year and practice their best with the limited time they have. After the Winter Varsity season is over, the Spring Sports season will begin in March and the Varsity Lacrosse will be competing. Meanwhile both Varsity and JV soccer and basketball teams will keep training and get ready to compete once again next year. The Winter Sports season will conclude in the month of February and student athletes hope to play all their season games and practice without the interruption of COVID-19 cases next year.